4.19.2013

From "Party Motivator" to Dynamic You Zumba instructor

One of the reasons our Dynamic You Fitness clients love Zumba is because it feels more like a party than a workout. 


And so it makes sense that Gina, one of our Zumba instructors here at the studio, formerly worked as a "Party Motivator." Yep. It's a real job.

Here, in her own words, is her story.


I've done a million things. I went to school for Marketing & Communication, I've done sales and research, taught ball room dancing for like a minute, and even worked in commercial and residential Real Estate. But it was my "Party Motivator" job that made my sister think I'd like teaching Zumba. 
A really bad car accident kept me from being active for a long period of time. I couldn't walk for six months because of a severe knee injury. In fact, for awhile it kept me from returning to a job where the need to physically use my body for a living was required. It was too risky.
I have been a working actress and worked at a restaurant for years, and just about a year and a half ago I became certified as a Zumba instructor.  My initial reaction to my sister's suggestion was that I was too old, and I didn't want to wear crazy pants and shoes. 
I love how happy Zumba makes people. It is so much fun to watch clients start to pick up the moves and let loose. People stay committed to being active by seeing results. 

Our Dynamic You Fitness clients love the sense of community, and enjoy seeing their friends in class. It's more like a party or get together than a workout. They love to sweat, so much that they get excited when they realize how hard they are working. 
And if you haven't taken a class with me, I should admit I now wear those crazy pants, shoes and anything else that's fun and loud.
I know what it feels like to be at a point where you're not active. My advice is get up and do it. Before my accident, I worked out four to five times a week. After I recovered it took time to find joy in fitness. My motivation was, and still is, music. A great song can give you a burst of energy you didn't think you had. 

I encourage you to set your morning alarm to play your favorite song instead of a buzzing noise. I promise your day will be filled with movement and joy.

In case you were wondering, a "Party Motivator" literally has the responsibility of getting party-goers up and dancing. Gina is fun, spirited and spontaneous. And she told us she can imitate a chicken. Just sayin'.
 Don't miss her Saturday morning Zumba class at 10 am each week!