4.15.2013

It's all about the (Zumba) shoes

When it comes to fitness and being active, there are a lot of options. This holds true for footwear too. It's important to choose the right pair of shoes for whatever exercise or activity you're doing. Today we welcome Dynamic You Fitness Zumba instructor Gina who has a vested interest in our Zumba clients well-being and your feet!


Hey all of our fabulous Zumba Fitness® students!!  I want to first tell you all how amazing you are!  I have enjoyed watching your progress in class and have truly enjoyed celebrating all of your achievements with you.
Second, we need to discuss your shoes!!  Most of you are still wearing running sneakers to class.  If the treads are worn down a bit and they are lightweight, They MAY be working for you, BUT, if your knees are aching after class or you’re feeling any strain in your legs, ankles, or lower back…  It COULD be your footwear!! 
Here is why:
Running shoes are designed to support you as you move forward in a straight line.  They have a lot of tread underneath to keep you from slipping AND typically the sole material has an extra ‘lip’ on either side to prevent your ankles from rolling inward or outward.
In Zumba Fitness® classes we incorporate, not only a lot of side-to-side motion, but twisting and sliding, as well.  So, running shoes are the opposite of what you want!
Zumba Fitness® makes a few different styles:
I wear the Z1 Sneaker($75) a lot when I teach.  It’s VERY lightweight, and runs a little big(I typically wear a size 6 shoe, but in these I’m a 5).  They’re not cheap, but they do go on sale from time to time, and you can always use discount code “Ginam” at checkout for 10% offJ

Proper Shoes for Zumba Fitness® (P2) 
Nike also makes the Nike Free TR Fit 3($95-$100). 
Here’s an excerpt from Fitness Magazine on these kicks:
The “light on your feet” Nike Free TR Fit 3 features an almost seamless upper, straps crossing the forefoot and arch provide extra lateral support for 360-deggree moves.  Thanks to a cushy foam midsole, these sneaks are also ‘great for jumping,’ “good for Zumba” and “perfect for switching quickly from exercise to exercise.”
If you’re on a budget, one of my students said she loves these sweet kicks by Fila!! I snapped some shots, for those of you, like me, who prefer visuals:


  
I can’t seem to find an exact match on the Fila website, but I think I’ve seen these at DSW for $30!
Hope this helps, we want to keep you all healthy & happy!
©Gina Manegio
For other tips and info find me on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/zumbawithginam